Thursday, February 21, 2019

More about Margilan Silk

Some More Information on Margilan Silk

I have been discussing the use of Margilan silk with Lena Archbold (https://www.lenaarchbold.co.uk/margilan-silk) and she has had some different experiences than I.  She purchases her silk directly from one of the factories in Margilan. When the fabric comes from that factory, the open weave textile is called Rarefied. So, when I divided the open weave fabrics from Margilan into two different types - Sparse (rarefied) and Scrim, I must have gotten some Margilan from another source. When I have purchased the Sparse (rarefied) from different vendors, it has consistently acted differently than the fabric called Scrim that I purchased on Etsy. It is possible that what I purchased called Scrim is the same as the Rarefied coming from the Soviet Era factory in Margilan. The mystery continues!! But it shows that you need to be consistent about whom you buy your fabric from and to do experiments with the fabric you've purchased. I have uses in felting for all 4 of the types of Margilan I have found, which makes me happy! 
I am working right now on a blog post showing some of my experiments with color overlay. I had pictures of the resulting fabrics, but they were accidentally erased from my iPad before I could download them into my regular computer. I will try to get more photos soon and to put up the results of the color experiments. It is amazing how the open weave Margilan silk changes the color of the wool it is placed on.  Felting is forever fascinating to me, even after felting for more than 40 years!