So I decided to try and make one for myself and then to teach the students in my class how to do so. I searched online for the instructions, and couldn't find any. So here is my version of how to do this.
Pat Spark copyright 2009
1. Turn shirt inside out so that the seams show.
2. Lay the shirt flat on a table and cut off the top seam and neckline.
3. Cut off the arm and side seams.
4. Cut strips up the body of the t-shirt to make the fringes. They are cut up as high as the underarm. The strips can be from 1 ½ -2 inches wide. Or some can be that wide and some can be ¾ inch wide to make a narrow strip that beads can be strung onto for a little more swing.
5. Add beads to the strips if you want.
6. Use the arms as ties to tie on the belt at your hips. Have fun and dance!